For the 17th Festival in 2014, entries will be accepted from across the globe. Entries are sought in various disciplines of the Media Arts including interactive art, video, websites, games, animation, and comics, and from professional, amateur, independent and commercial sources.
Thursday, July 11, 2013 - Thursday, September 12, 2013 (Late entries will not be accepted)
The Four Divisions (Art, Entertainment, Animation, Manga）
Works of art created with new media and digital technologies.
Interactive art, media installations, video works, graphic art (digital illustration, digital photography, computer graphics, etc), web-based works, media performances, etc.
Works for entertainment created with digital technologies.
Games (video games, online games, etc.), video works (music videos, advertising videos, special effects videos, etc.), gadgets, electronics, websites, application software, etc.
Animated feature films, animated short films, animated series, etc.
Comics published in book form, comics published in a magazine (including works still being serialized), comics published online (for computer or mobile), self-published comics, etc.
In all divisions professional, amateur, independent, and commercial works are eligible for submission.
Works must be completed or released between:
Friday, September 21, 2012 and Thursday, September 12, 2013
* Works completed, changed, renewed, presented or released during the above period are eligible for entry.
* While the number of entries made is unlimited, the same work may not be entered in multiple divisions.
The entrant must hold the copyright to the submitted work. If the work is submitted by a representative, permission from the copyright holder must be obtained.
*Each entrant must read, understand and accept the Rules and Regulations before submission.
*By submitting their work, the entrant is deemed to have accepted all Entry Rules and Regulations as stated.
For each division, one Grand Prize, four Excellence Awards, and three New Face Awards will be awarded on the basis of artistic quality and creativity. In addition, a Special Achievement Award will be awarded on the recommendation of the Jury to an individual or group who has made a special contribution to Media Arts in any of the four divisions.
Grand Prize: Certificate*, trophy, 600,000 Japanese Yen
Excellence Award: Certificate*, trophy, 300,000 Japanese Yen
New Face Award: Certificate*, trophy, 200,000 Japanese Yen
Special Achievement Award: Certificate*, trophy
Other outstanding entries will be chosen by the Jury as Jury Selections
(* Certificates will be presented by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
Rules and Regulations
Copyright and Treatment of Entered Works
• The entrant must hold the copyright to the submitted work. If the work is entered by a representative, permission from the copyright holder is required
• Permission must be obtained from the copyright holder for the use of any art, film, photographs, video images, programs and/or music used in the submitted work. The entrant takes sole responsibility for resolving any third party claims of infringement of rights and/or claim for damages. The organizer shall not be held accountable in the event of any dispute.
• Depending on the form or type of the work, it may be necessary to change the division in which the work has been entered.
• All expenses related to submissions are borne by the entrant.
• Submitted works and reference materials will be returned only in exceptional circumstances.
• In the case of any accidental damages to or loss of submitted work, the organizer shall not be held responsible.
• The Secretariat shall provide no information about the status and results of screening before or after the official announcement.
• The copyright to award-winning works shall remain with the entrant.
• The organizer may screen, broadcast, duplicate, print, exhibit and/or publicize on its website domestically and internationally, without compensation, any works for the purposes of announcing the results of the award-winning works, exhibiting the award-winning works and publicizing the Japan Media Arts Festival.
• Depending on the screening process, additional materials may be required.
Regarding Personal Information
The Japan Media Arts Festival Executive Committee shall make every reasonable effort to prevent disclosure, appropriation, and/or distortion of personal information by adhering to the following guidelines.
1．Use of Personal Information
Personal information submitted by an entrant shall be used only for
（1） Announcement of screening results
（2） Contact for enquiry about submitted works
（3） Statistical analysis for improvement of the Japan Media Arts Festival
（4） Providing information about the Japan Media Arts Festival and related events, and when seeking entries to the Japan Media Arts Festival. (If such disclosure is unacceptable to the applicant, it will be withheld upon request.)
（5） Public announcement of award winners to the media and on the website (the title of the work, winner’s name and affiliation, etc.). We will directly contact each winner to confirm this before making any public announcement.)
When the personal information is required for use beyond the above reasons, the secretariat will contact the entrant for permission prior to use
2．Disclosure to a Third Party
Appropriate efforts shall be made to administer and protect an entrant’s personal information. This personal information shall not be disclosed to any third party without prior consent. In addition, such information shall only be disclosed to a third party when absolutely necessary for operation and management by the Japan Media Arts Festival Secretariat. However, information may be disclosed when consent from the person concerned cannot be obtained, if such disclosure is necessary to protect human life or property, or is required by law.
All entrants must read, understand, and accept the “Entry Rules and Regulations” before submitting work. By submitting their work, the entrant is deemed to have accepted all Entry Rules and Regulations as stated.